I previously published this granola recipe as part of the “AB+J” parfait recipe a few years ago. I still love the parfait, layered with granola, raspberry compote and almond butter, but I updated the post with just the granola so it’s easier to find. It’s a great recipe that I make for a my family and clients every week.
Start with old fashioned rolled oats (I always use Bob’s Red Mill because I love their products and really respect their founder and CEO Bob Moore. I listened to a episode of How I Built This on NPR featuring Bob and just love him and all he stands for as a business owner.) Whatever brand you use, be sure to get old fashioned rolled oats, not steel cut or quick cooking oats.
This recipe is a basic template you can use to experiment with different granola flavors too. Swap out the almonds and pepitas with different types of nuts and seeds, or try dried fruit in place of coconut if you want. Just be sure to keep the ratios the same and you should get a consistent.
Coconut oil and pure maple syrup are both unprocessed, whole-foods which most nutritionists believe are more nutritious and less inflammatory than the refined sugar and canola oil found in most store bought granola.
I measure out the coconut oil and heat it in a small sauce pot, then mix in the maple syrup and vanilla off the heat so the ingredients are well incorporated. Then I pour the warm liquids over the oats, almonds and pepitas and stir until the granola is evenly coated.
You’ll add the unsweetened shaved coconut halfway through cooking since it burns quickly. It helps to pack the granola mixture down with the back of the spatula after spreading it out on the sheet pan so it sticks together better. If you don’t already have a “regular” size sheet pan (also known as “half sheet” pan) I highly recommend getting one. Pretty much any recipe involving for roasting or baking will call for this size, and size matters! When things are overcrowded in a pan they tend to steam and don’t brown as nicely. I use these Nordic Ware sheet pans that I absolutely LOVE. They have a reinforced steel rim which means they’ll never warp! You’ll have these pans for years.
I hope this recipe becomes a staple in your house too!
Ingredients (serves 8-10)
- 4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup unsweetened shaved coconut
- 1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (natural grade a maple syrup, no Aunt Jemimah)
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Combine rolled oats, almonds, pepitas and kosher salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Measure out at cup of shaved coconut and set aside.
- Place coconut oil in a small sauce pot over low heat until just melted, turn off heat.
- Add maple syrup and vanilla and gently swirl or stir with a spatula to combine all 3 ingredients.
- Pour warmend liquid ingredients over the oat mixture and stir until thouroughly combined.
- Spread granola out on the baking sheet with a spatula to an even layer and bake for 12 minutes.
- At 12 minutes sprinkle the shaved coconut over the granola and gently stir to mix in.
- Bake granola an additional 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
*Make sure to check the granola after it’s been back in the oven for about 8 minutes, every oven is different and the shaved coconut burns easily!