I found inspiration for this recipe while reading through some of the notes I made from our summer trip to NYC and Europe.
I remembered a lovely appetizer I had at the Bowery Meat Company in New York with thinly sliced zucchini, feta and pistachios.
My salad version of the dish is incredibly simple, light and very flavorful.
You might want to make this as an appetizer for a dinner party, a light lunch for yourself, or accompanied by a protein for dinner with your family.
This is the perfect light salad for summer when the squash is ripe and gorgeous and you don’t want to turn on the oven!
Ingredients (serves 4 as appetizer, serves 2 as side dish)
- 2 medium zucchini squash, 2 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- 1 tsp chopped chives
- 1 tsp chopped mint
- 1/4 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 cups cubed feta
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- Wash squash and thinly slice into rounds, using a mandolin if you have one.
- Combine extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, basil, mint and salt in a small tupperware container and shake aggressively until combined.
- Assemble one layer of squash in a casserole dish and sprinkle with 1/3 of herb dressing, 1/3 of pine nuts and 1/3 of cubed feta. Repeat two more times. Serve immediately or within 2 hours or the squash will get soggy.