I’m not a morning person. Since having a day job and a baby I’ve gotten better at waking up, but mornings are still challenging for me so I’m a huge fan of anything that makes them easier. The days that I go into the office are the hardest, I’m up super early, have a long commute and don’t eat lunch for a while so I need something I can grab and eat on the go that’s more substantial than fruit or protein bar. This recipe also serves me well on the days that I’m home with Mila since eggs are one thing she’ll never refuse, plus it’s a great way to sneak veggies in. I heat them up in a skillet covered with a lid for 2-3 minutes and breakfast is ready.
I’ve found the recipe works best if you put actual cupcake liners in the pan otherwise you will inevitably end up scraping baked egg out of each little cup regardless how much cooking spray you use. Trust me.
The cook time is super specific, but as with any recipe it’s specific for my oven, so check them a few minutes before and if they are starting to puff over the muffin tin take them out! Otherwise they’ll be really weird and spongy. Alternately, if the egg is still jiggly in the middle when you shake the pan, leave them in a couple more minutes. The eggs should be barely set and a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. They will continue to cook for a little after you take them out of the oven. Here’s to easy mornings!
(makes 12 frittatas)
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup grated jack cheese
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1/2 cup blanched and chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup cooked turkey sausage
- 1 tsp kosher or sea salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 325
- Bring a medium sauce pot of liberally salted water to a boil
- Spray muffin tins with cooking spray and place cupcake liners in all 12 compartments
- Blanch the broccoli or (any vegetable of choice) for about 3 minutes, and immediately place in an ice bath
- Brown the turkey sausage in a skillet and set aside
- Roughly chop broccoli
- In a large mixing bowl crack the eggs and pour in half & half and whisk to combine
- Season with salt and pepper
- Pour a 1/4 cup of egg mixture in each compartment with a measuring cup
- Evenly distribute broccoli, sausage and cheese among the compartments
- Bake for 17 minutes