Tarragon Chicken Salad
Classic Chicken Salad with celery, green onions and grapes. Light-on-the-mayo- and packed tarragon, garlic and lemon. Do I have your attention? Great, here’s a new recipe for you!Jump to Recipe
I made this for for Mila’s first birthday last year and am just getting around to posting it (insert wide-eyed emoji here). I made mini sandwiches on soft rolls and set out crisp butter lettuce cups as a bread alternative. They were a huge hit.
I’m generally not a mayo fan, but this recipe uses such a small amount and has so much flavor that you really don’t taste it. It mostly holds the salad together and keeps it from being dry. You can definitely substitute veganaise for regular mayo if you’re vegetarian or vegan. I’ve seen some recipes using tahini that would also be tasty.
I like to roast the chicken breasts in the oven, you can find my recipe for perfectly roasted chicken breasts here. Or if you’re really short on time, grab a rotisserie chicken from the market! While the chicken roasts I’ll chop the veg, slice the grapes and make the mayo. Then as soon as the chicken is cooked and cooled I’ll shred it up and mix in the rest of the ingredients.
The salad is best when it sits for while after it’s mixed whichs helps all flavors all meld together. You can also make the mayo a few hours ahead if you’re going to serve the salad immediately, which will help.
Although it’s rare, when I do use mayo I like to use this Primal Kitchen brand. It’s made with avocado oil vs canola and doesn’t have any preservatives. They have so many yummy Whole 30 and Paleo compliant dressings and dips. If you’ve never used their products before you should definitely check them out.
The crunchy celery, the sweet grapes and tarragon mayo make this spin on a classic chicken salad incredibly tasty. I hope you give it a try!
Tarragon Chicken Salad
- Roasting pan
- Good quality knife
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup quartered red grapes
- 2/3 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or mayo alternative
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 small garlic cloves minced
- 4 sandwich rolls
- 1 head butter lettuce for lettuce wraps or on sandwiches
- Roast chicken according to recipe linked in body of post
- Slice grapes and green onion
- Chop celery and tarragon
- Crush garlic cloves and mix into mayo along with chopped tarragon and lemon juice
- Once chicken is cooked and cooled, shred the meat with your fingers or two forks
- In a large mixing bowl combine shredded chicken, grapes, celery and green onion and stir
- Pour in mayonnaise and fold together until all mayo is well incorporated
- Serve on sliced whole grain bread with a piece of butter lettuce or in a butter lettuce cup for chicken salad lettuce wraps